Paleo Strawberry Shortcake
Fourth of July is a great time to celebrate America's birthday and indulge in a cool summer treat. I wanted to make something festively red, white, and blue but healthy and easy too. I decided on Red, White, and Blue Shortcakes...knowing that I didn't have a lot of time to experiment with making something in my "test kitchen" mode, I went to Pintrest and found one of my favorite food bloggers that had a recipe that seemed fitting. If you are trying to eat Paleo and looking for some good, trusted recipes check out Lexiscleankitchen.com - if you haven't already! Love her recipes. Always on point! I made a few changes by adding in lemon juice and zest, as well as vanilla and almond extract. I removed the honey because no one misses the sugar when topped with berries and lactose free ice cream. I used ghee in place of the grass fed butter because that is what I had on hand.
Red, White, and Blue Paleo Shortcake
- 2 c almond flour
- 1/4 c coconut flour
- 1 c tapioca flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 2 organic eggs
- 1/4 c + 2 T ghee
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t almond extract
- 1 t lemon juice
- 1 t lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl add all dry ingredients. Mix with a fork to incorporate.
- Add in remaining ingredients and stir with a fork until just mixed. Do not over mix.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use your hands to roll rustic shortcakes into 16 "biscuit" looking shortcakes.
- Bake for 8 minutes and rotate the sheet.
- Bake for another 5-7 minutes.
- Top with your favorite toppings below.
- sliced organic strawberries & blueberries
- thawed, previously frozen berry medley
- coconut whip cream (available in the freezer section at WholeFoods and Sprouts)
- favorite ice cream
- sliced almonds