Who doesn't love granola?!? I attribute my love of granola to some serious freshman 15 back in the day. I had no idea how much sugar was actually in this "proclaimed" health food...and the serving size....is that some sort of joke? A 1/4 of a cup? Who eats a 1/4 of a cup when something is this addicting? So like anything I love, I set out to revamp granola to make the healthiest version I could. Good news, I hit this one out of the park!
There is one caveat to making the best Paleo granola - you have to make some homemade almond coconut milk because the granola recipe calls for the leftover pulp. I call it a win-win. You get to make some fresh, healthy, chemical free milk alternative and use the leftover pulp to make some tasty granola!
Paleo Granola (Grain free, gluten free, dairy free)
- 1 pound of raw unsalted mixed nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts, and cashews)
- 1/2 raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- pulp remains from almond coconut mylk recipe
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 T Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup goji berries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 unsweetened coconut chips
- banana chips
- chopped dates
- dried chopped apple slices
- dried cherries or favorite dried fruit
- fresh nutmeg
- almond extract
- cacao powder and nibs
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Roughly chop the mixed nuts.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl except for the coconut. (You can leave out the dried fruit if you prefer.)
- Line a large 12x18 cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Evenly spread the nut mixture out on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir granola.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Store in refrigerator.