Gluten Free, Dairy Free Mac and Cheese
Yeap, that's right....a deliciously creamy and healthy mac and cheese. This recipe is a great balance between the nutritionless traditional mac and cheese packed with protein and veggies. My hubby has a sweet spot for homemade mac and cheese and on Father's Day I want to make sure he gets all of the wonderful goodies he deserves.
*The recipe calls for soaked cashews. Ideally you would let the cashews soak overnight in a bowl of water. If you do not have the time, you can fast track the process by roughly chopping the cashews and soaking them in hot water for at least an hour. Make sure to drain the water off the cashews before adding to the recipe.
**Anytime you make pasta (spaghetti, mac and cheese, lasagna, etc.) the best tip is to add 1-2 T of the starchy cooking water to the sauce. This acts like a creamy glue to make the sauce stick to the pasta. I typically pour some of the starchy water into a coffee cup right before straining so I have some on reserve.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 T ghee
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 organic carrot, chopped
- 1/2 c organic cauliflower (fresh or frozen, if using fresh chop before adding)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 c bone beef broth
- 1 box of your favorite gluten free macaroni shaped pasta
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 T grainy mustard
- 1 c soaked cashews, drained* (in water overnight, peed up by letting soak in hot water for 1 hr)
- zest of 1/2 lemon (~1 tsp)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 1 T EVOO+ (use truffle oil to maximize flavor and deliciousness!)
- 2 T pasta water**
- Crispy pancetta or bacon
- Ground flax seed or almond flour if baking
- kale or broccoli chip crumbles
- shaved truffles or drizzle of truffle oil on top
- Add the ghee to a large skillet and melt on medium heat.
- Add carrots and onion with some salt to help the onions soften.
- Once the carrots and onions soften (about 5 minutes) add the cauliflower, garlic, and bone broth. Cook for another 7-10 minutes until the veggies are soft.
- While the veggies cook start a pot of salted water on high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add pasta and cook according to instructions on the box.
- Add the spices to the veggie mixture (salt, turmeric, smoked paprika, onion powder, and grainy mustard) and stir until combined.
- Drain pasta and add back into pot. *Be sure to reserve some starchy pasta water.
- Add veggie mixture and remaining ingredients to a blender/ Vitamix and blend on high for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides and blend for an additional minute. Add additional bone broth or unflavored almond milk to desired consistency.
- Add cheese sauce to pasta in pot and cook and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- (Optional) Transfer to a baking dish and bake in oven at 300 degrees covered with aluminium foil for 10 minutes. Can top with optional ingredeints listed above before baking.
Great served up with some sauteed spinach and grilled peach & avocado pork chop.
You can check out all of the goodness on Bonafide Provisions bone broth on the link below.