Is It Possible...Healthy Sloppy Joes?
Healthified Sloppy Joes. We all need some homemade comfort food as life is all about “all things in moderation”. Comfort food does not have to equal guilt or leave you feeling lethargic. The thing I love most is to make great tasting food from real products so toss out the high fructose laden Manwhich and try this easy recipe.
1 Fresh red pepper, diced
2 Shallots, diced
1 T Water
1 lb of Beef (I like 85/15 organic, grass fed) or your preference of ground turkey, chicken, or tofu crumbles
1 t Mustard powder
1 t Onion powder
1 t Dried oregano
1 t Smoked paprika
1 t fennel seed, finely chopped
Crushed red pepper to taste (a pinch or two)
Fresh Cracked Pepper to taste (4 grinds)
1 T Tamari (soy sauce)
1 T Worcestershire sauce (gluten free)
1 T Coconut Amino Acids
¼ c Coconut sugar
1 c Organic natural ketchup
¼ c Diced tomatoes, can or fresh (optional)
¼ c Sundried tomatoes, chopped (optional)
1. Put diced red pepper and shallot in large skillet with water on medium heat. Cook until soft, about 7-8 minutes. No need to add oil to the skillet when softening the peppers and shallots as the water will work best and limit excess fat.
2. Add in beef and all dried seasonings. Be sure to finely chop the fennel seed before adding to the pan. It awakens the flavor and evenly distributes the powerful flavor. Cook until beef is brown, approx. 10-15 minutes.
3. Add in tamari, Worcestershire, amino acids, and coconut sugar. Stir until meat is evenly coated.
4. Add in ketchup and tomatoes, stir. Let simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes until flavors fully meld together.
5. Toast up some gluten free buns or wash some lettuce leaves.
6. Decorate bun/leaf with fresh spicy arugula and creamy sliced avocado.
7. Top with a beautiful billowing pile of sloppy joe meat.
8. Grab some extra napkins and dig in!!
* Serve alongside a yummy spinach salad!
**This sloppy joe recipe is also great over tortilla chips to add a different spin on nachos or over some oven baked fries.