Homemade Vegan, Gluten Free Lasanga
Cashew Nut Vegan “Ricotta Chez”. In keeping with my philosophy of all things in moderation, I like to work in vegan based dishes throughout the week. The recipe below for cashew nut chez is delicious and a perfect substitute for ricotta cheese in any dish. I actually prefer the cashew nut chez over ricotta by a landslide. If you've ever eaten my lasagna then you have enjoyed my cashew nut chez. No one has yet to notice the difference. ;)
2 c raw unsalted cashews
¼ c water (plus more to soak the cashews)
Juice of 1 lemon and zest
1 ½ T Nutritional Yeast
1 t onion powder
1 t dried basil (or 1 T fresh chopped basil)
¼ t smoked paprika
Pink Himalayan Sea & Fresh Cracked Pepper
1. Soak cashews in a bowl of hot tap water for at least an hour to soften.
2. Drain water off of cashews.
3. Place all ingredients in a food processor (I like to use my magic bullet) and blend until smooth.
** You can add more water if needed to get the cashews to blend but texture should be thick like ricotta.
VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE LASAGNA
1 eggplant, small to medium size
1 jar of your favorite organic basil marinara pasta sauce (or homemade sauce)
1 box of no boil, gluten-free rice lasagna noodles (I get mine at Whole Foods)
Cashew Nut Chez, recipe above
2 c fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 ½ c Daiya Vegan Cheese (easy to find at Whole Foods and not soy based)
Oregano & Basil, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Remove skin from eggplant and slice into small circles.
3. Spread sliced eggplant out on a paper towel, single layer, and then sprinkle sea salt over eggplant. Let sit for at least 15 minutes. The salt will draw out the moisture. Use a towel to absorb excess moisture.
4. Spray an 8 ½ x 11 baking dish with oil, be sure to get along sides for easier clean up.
5. Spread ½ c pasta sauce evenly in the bottom of the baking dish.
6. Line one layer of lasagna noodles on top of sauce.
7. Spread cashew nut chez over lasagna noodles.
8. Sprinkle fresh, chopped spinach over nut chez.
9. Blot moisture off of eggplant with a paper towel.
10. Place eggplant in a single layer over spinach.
11. Pour remaining pasta sauce over eggplant. Be sure to distribute evenly.
12. Sprinkle Daiya Vegan Cheese evenly over top.
13. Sprinkle oregano and basil on top of cheese.
14. Cover with foil.
15. Bake for 1 hour.
16. Remove foil and let cool for 5 minutes.
17. Cut, serve, enjoy, and repeat!