Why Coconut Oil
COCONUT OIL. Everyone is on the coconut oil band wagon these days...I agree, I think it is great but before I go into all of the amazing uses and benefits, I would like to warn all things in moderation and too much of a good thing does not equal better...it usually equals worse. With that warning, now why I love coconut oil...
1. It smells so yummy
2. It makes the best lotion for anyone and anywhere on your body! I literally take coconut oil right out of the jar and put it on my hands, all over my body, chapped lips, dry nose, etc.
3. I also use it to make homemade lotion bars (just use equal parts of organic virgin coconut oil, olive oil, and beeswax, melt all together in a double broiler and pour liquid evenly in a muffin pan, once hardened pop out and rub the lotion bar all over your skin! Use lotion bar daily.)
4. Gives you energy! The saturated fat in coconut oil is made up of medium chain triglycerides (MCT) that convert to ketones quickly which is a form of energy that the body can use (as is glucose which is made from carbs). Normally, fat taken into your body must be mixed with bile in your gallbladder before it can be broken down, but MCT go directly to your liver, which naturally converts to ketones. Your liver then immediately releases the ketones into your bloodstream where they are readily used as energy.
5. Because it converts so fast and easily to usable energy in your body, coconut oil does not have the same impact of packing on pounds like a lot of other fats and oils. Granted, you still need to use the energy your body creates or else it will ultimately be stored as fat but many notice coconut oil gives them energy (like your daily cup of joe or a sugar rush from glucose)
6. Great to use on diaper rash for babies, cradle cap, and any dry skin spots for infants. Olive oil also works great on baby and adult skin. Skip the commercialized chemical crap and use the natural stuff already in your kitchen!
7. Great for hair (split ends or leave on overnight for a deep conditioning treatment)
8. The list goes on and on...there are a GAZILLION uses for coconut oil and some amazing research on the benefits in regards to thyroid, Alzheimers, cholesterol, weight management, etc. I have included some interesting articles below.
**Make sure to use Virgin Coconut Oil - no refined or hydrogenated oil! And as with anything...moderation is the safest bet!