Homemade Tomato Soup
TOMATO SOUP. I love soup, all kinds, especially in the winter. Even if it is 80 degrees in LA today, the calendar says January and that is good enough for me. I wanted to share a super easy and healthy tomato soup recipe that I hope you will enjoy. My recipe is vegan and gluten free but you can feel free to sub in or add whatever your heart desires as that is what cooking is all about! The recipe also calls for garlic which is great for keeping your immune system running at peak performance to avoid the seasonal cold/ flu that gets passed around. Also, canned tomatoes contain Lycopene which is a powerful antioxidant.
¼ cup of coconut oil
1 small onion or 2 shallots, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
6 oz tomato paste
1/4 c fresh chopped basil (1 T dried)
28 oz of canned tomatoes (I prefer San Marzano)
2 c veggie broth
1 c coconut milk
1 tsp oregano and thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat coconut oil on medium heat.
2. Add diced onion and minced garlic.
3. Sauté until onions are softened and translucent.
4. Add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes to wake up the flavors in the paste.
5. Add basil, canned tomatoes, and broth.
6. Bring to a boil stirring often.
7. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Call your mom or a friend while you wait :)
9. Pour soup into Vitamix, blender, or food processor and blend for 2-3 minutes.
10. Serve up and enjoy!
I like to serve alongside a yummy gluten free grilled cheese and mixed greens. I prefer spicy arugula with equal parts of EVOO and Apple Cider Vinegar.