Hemp Seeds, Vegan Protein Powerhouse
Hemp Seeds. Finding vegan friendly sources of protein can be challenging when you want to avoid soy. Welcome hemp seeds to the party!
Hemp seeds contain all 10 essential amino acids and just 3 tablespoons equals 10 grams of protein. They also contain omega-3 and 6 (in the form of GLA which has been shown to reduce inflammation, support metabolism and regulate hormones). Those trying to limit animal protein often struggle with adequate iron levels…3 T contain 20% of your recommended iron along with the essential B vitamins that your body needs to successful absorb and use iron.
Why Hemp Seeds?
1. A complete protein, quick easy to use.
2. Healthy Fats (Omega 3 and 6)
3. Vitamin E
4. Plant based phytonutrients
5. Anti-aging antioxidants
6. 3 grams dietary fiber to enhance digestion
7. Rich in minerals (zinc 20%, phosphorous 45%, magnesium 45%, manganese 110% and iron 20%)
How to eat hemp seeds?
• Add to morning oatmeal, cereal, or yogurt
• Add to soups
• Top salads
• Add to smoothies
• Check out my Cinnamon Raisin Granola recipe in my previous post
Where to buy hemp seeds?
The best deal I have found for them is on Amazon - a pound for $13.54. Whole Foods sells a half pound for $10.99.