Paleo Carrot Cupcakes
Who doesn't want to eat carrot cake for breakfast, as a snack, or any time of day?!? With this healthy delicious carrot cake recipe you can enjoy carrot cake guilt free any time of the day! They also make great snacks to pack for your little ones. You can see that my little man was a big fan of them ;)
I must also admit that I have been looking to create some new ways to utilize the pulp leftover from juicing. When I made my delicious carrot juice, I had about 4 cups of carrot pulp left over. The pulp has amazing nutrients,especially fiber, and intense flavor so it is great to use in many recipes, including soups, veggie chips, and quick breads. Below is my recipe for Paleo carrot cake in which I used the carrot pulp but you can simply grate carrots and omit the milk. I added the milk to help re-hydrate the juice that had been extracted from the carrots.
Paleo Carrot Cupcakes
- 3 large organic eggs, room temp
- 2 cups of carrot pulp (or grated carrots)
- 1/4 cup milk (I used Toasted Coconut Almond Milk), omit if using grated carrots
- 1/ cup honey (local raw)
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup applesauce (organic no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (organic virgin unrefined), melted
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 t apple cider vinegar (organic raw)
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 t grated ginger (fresh preferred)
- 4 t cinnamon (I LOVE cinnamon)
- 1/4 t fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 t baking soda
- Optional (crushed pineapple, walnuts, raisins, candied ginger)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place muffin liners in muffin pan. Will make roughly 16 full size muffins.
- Mix all of the wet ingredients together. You can use a food processor, mixer,or simply mix with a fork. Being a mom with a little one who still naps (thankful!) I always go with the fancy hand mixing with a fork method which is nice a quiet.
- Add in dry ingredients until well incorporated.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin until almost full (at least 3/4 full) as the muffins do not rise much. If you are not strict Paleo, you can add 1 t baking powder to the recipe to make the muffins rise.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes rotating the pan halfway through to ensure even baking.
- Let cool and then icing with your favorite store boughten or homemade recipe.
- Garnish cupcakes with chopped walnuts, candied ginger, orange sprinkles, or a little extra cinammon.